Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ranking Pixar films

I saw Up last night and I was utterly charmed by this amazing movie. It was just absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend it to anyone. In fact, after seeing the film, me and Mike started to discuss how we'd rank all ten Pixar movies to date. So why don't we all take a stab at it?

I encourage anyone to try, even if they haven't seen Up yet, or all 9 of the previous Pixar films.

My ranking!

1 - The Incredibles - I know this isn't their big artistic vision movie and all, and thus its sacrilege to have it top any rankings, but for pure pleasure I just can't put any movie above it. The most fun I've ever had watching any Pixar movie.
2 - Up - I really liked this movie, a lot. You must see it.
3 - Finding Nemo - A poignant movie, and a lot of fun to watch.
4 - Toy Story 2 - This one just hit on all cylinders for me. It is a perfect piece of entertainment, absolutely sure of itself and without the occasional wobbles of the first.
5 - Wall-E - Yea, yea, if it had stopped at the first hour it would be at the very top, easily. The first half is an absolute master class in movie making, and note just cartooning, but the second half of the movie was a bit of a dud for me. Really, I feel the movie would have worked much better if the humans of the future weren't involved at all.
6 - Toy Story - Yes, the one that started it all! It is a superb movie and still has an element of discovery watching it today.
7 - Ratatouille - I liked this one a lot, but it wasn't entirely entertaining more than a movie to be appreciated to me. Expert craftsmanship all around.
8 - Monsters, Inc. - Here we start to approach their best works, and I feel this one sits just outside that category. It just never fully worked for me, it came off as a little sketchy and not fully formed.
9 - A Bugs Life - Their second attempt, and it holds up, but it just can't hang with their more polished works. A pleasant trifle.
10 - Cars - It's nothing special, really. The closest that Pixar came to making a movie with the bottom line in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Well maybe I will just take your recommendation and see 'Up'..."absolutely wonderful" aye? WOW! Pretty high testament...

    ReplyDelete